Monday, November 17, 2008

What's in a Name?

I don't know how I found WOW - Women on Writing. Maybe it was through a google search or possibly from one of the writing loops I belong to. Regardless, at first glance, I loved the site. What a wealth of information for women writers!

I entered the quarterly flash fiction contest twice. Both times, I made it through the first round but did not end up in the winner's circle. I know they receive TONS of entries (I'm telling myself THOUSANDS!) so the competition is tight. But it's a fun contest and I encourage writers to check it out.

A few months ago, I submitted an article to WOW for their How2 column. I didn't hear back for a while and assumed it had ended up in the slush pile and, ultimately, the trash. But what a surprise when, six months later, I received a notice that my article had been accepted! I was thrilled to have the opportunity to be featured on this amazing site!

So now I get to share my article, What's in a Name, with you. It is now posted on the WOW - Women on Writing - website. In my article, I talk about some things to think about when choosing names for your fictional characters.

I hope you take a moment to check it out and let me know your thoughts. Here's the direct link: WHAT'S IN A NAME?

2 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

I went over and read this, Lynda. It was sooooooooooooooooooo good. You are a wealth of knowledge in the writing world.

Anonymous said...

Great article!

I love choosing names for characters--I nearly always choose one that is symbolic somehow for the story (at least for the main characters).

I do think though, I have a bit of a challenge with my novel as all my characters have Japanese names (since it does take place in Japan and all) and for Americans and any other person who does not speak Japanese, they are a little odd sounding. I tried to choose names that would be slightly easier for an English speaker to pronounce. Still...my critique group nearly always mispronounces the names :P

Anyway, I loved the article--a great source of information for any writer!