Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Christian Markets

In a recent blog post, I mentioned that I have been submitting more of my work to paying markets. My goal is to always have at least five to ten stories or articles out for consideration at any given time. This should not be a problem since at this moment I have at least seventy articles and stories sitting idle in my computer.

Many of these pieces are former FaithWriters Challenge entries. A couple days ago, someone asked me if we're allowed to publish our entries elsewhere after they are posted in the Challenge. The answer is ABSOLUTELY! Even if your entry placed in the top ten and will be published in an upcoming quarterly anthology, the only rights that FaithWriters asks for are One-Time rights. This means that FaithWriters wants permission to publish it once. But the piece is still yours to use in any way you choose.

A couple months ago, I had a previous #1 entry accepted by Mature Living. Well, accepted in the sense that they are holding onto it until they can use it. I won't actually get paid until then but that's ok. I have faith that it will happen. If nothing comes of it within a year, I'll send a quick email, requesting the status, and go from there.

Most recently, I submitted a former Challenge entry to Disciples World. They responded within a couple days that although the story was well-written, they no longer publish fiction.

Bummer.

But, I didn't allow myself to wallow. I chose another publication (LIVE) and sent it off again that day. Two days later, I heard back that my story was accepted. This time, my check is in the mail. Woo-hoo!

Currently, I have five stories or queries out there that I'm waiting to hear back on. Stay tuned...

In the meantime, I thought I'd list just a few of the hundreds of Christian markets available for you to check out. If you have never submitted to a magazine before, I challenge you to take the plunge. Read over the guidelines carefully and go for it. You have nothing to lose and a bigger resume' to gain!

Good luck!

ALIVE NOW!

BIBLE ADVOCATE

CATHOLIC DIGEST

CATHOLIC FORESTER

CHARISMA AND CHRISTIAN LIFE

CHRISTIAN HOME & SCHOOL

DECISION MAGAZINE

DISCIPLESHIP JOURNAL

DISCIPLES WORLD

GUIDEPOSTS MAGAZINE

HARUAH

HOMESCHOOLING MAGAZINE

IN TOUCH

THE LOOKOUT

THE LUTHERAN DIGEST

NOW WHAT?

RELEVANT MAGAZINE

SEEK

TODAY'S PENTECOSTAL EVANGEL

6 comments:

lynnmosher said...

Hey, Lynda! So glad you are doing so well with your writing. You deserve it! I pray the Lord blesses all your efforts to serve Him with your talents!

Blessings...Lynn

lynnmosher said...

Whoops! Forgot to add...thanks for the list. I knew of some of them but others were new to me. I appreciate you sharing them with everyone.

Blessings...Lynn

Dara said...

Thanks!

Quick question: I'm assuming if I use the challenge entry that was previously printed in the FW anthology that it would be considered a reprint? Does that count for the stories that didn't place but are online?

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Dara,

When querrying or submitting a previous Challenge entry, both those that have been/are to be published in an anthology or that did not place but are permanently posted on the site, I always mention it. I've found that most don't make a big deal of it. The FW audience isn't large enough (or similar enough to their audience) to concern them. But I always mention it to be safe.

Dixie Phillips said...

Lynda,
I get soooo excited every time I see another one of your accomplishments.... I saw it coming long ago and DA BEST IS YET TA COME, Girlfriend!

Chely said...

Thanks, Lynda!