Friday, January 15, 2010

Freelance Friday - Four freelance writing opportunities


So I've been debating whether or not to incorporate some sort of blogging schedule. You know, like Making Money Monday (about freelancing), Fiction Friday (fiction related posts only), and Whatever Wednesdays (about - duh - whatever). But I'm thinking that won't work well for me. Because what if I have a book review scheduled for a Monday or I have a burning desire to post a "Whatever" post on Friday?

So, for now, I'll hold off on setting a specific posting schedule and stick with what I've been doing, which is random posts on whatever strikes my fancy. The only thing I don't like about doing it this way is that usually, I'm wracking my brain every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, for something to post about. Some sort of organization would be beneficial, I'm sure. If you have any tips or advice on how you schedule/plan your blogs, send them my way.

In the meantime, after brainstorming in the shower and while driving the kids to school, I came up with a good one for today. And I'm labeling it Freelance Friday just because it sounds cool. Anyway, I've received a few requests lately about freelancing and where to find jobs, particularly web content opportunities. Below, I've listed four sites you might want to consider writing for. At the very least, you'll gain experience and get your name out there, even if they won't make you rich.

EXAMINER.COM. Are you shocked I'm starting with this one? Of course you're not. I love annoying people by pushing this site on them, especially if there is a possibility they will USE MY NAME AS THE REFERRAL when signing up. (Those $50 referral bonuses are great!) Anyway, I've loved every minute of my time as the Grand Rapids Christian Fiction Examiner and the National Christian Writing Examiner. I don't make a lot of money (OK, I barely make ANY money) but the exposure is great AND I get to write about something I love.

Payment is made via PayPal once per month (you must have $25 on your account in order to receive payment).

If you have a passion (whether it's cooking, gardening, reality TV) you may want to check into Examiner.com. They are accepting applications both for National and Local topics. Oh - and if you DO sign up, TELL THEM LYNDA SCHAB REFERRED YOU. :-)

DEMAND STUDIOS. Confession: I signed up with Demand Studios but haven't done anything with them. But that doesn't mean it's not a great opportunity, it just means I have too much on my plate for a new venture. I've seen several great testimonies by Demand Studios writers who earn a nice monthly income. They have writing and copy editing positions available, you are able to choose your own assignments, and they offer two payment options - flat fee per article or revenue share.

ABOUT.COM. This is a reputable site that provides articles on hundreds of different topics. You can apply to be either a GUIDE or a CONTRIBUTING WRITER, and both positions are paid a guaranteed monthly income. To see what topics are currently available, visit THIS PAGE.

SUITE 101. Chances are, you've heard of Suite 101. According to the website, writing for this site offers the following benefits: 1. Receive lifelong royalties generated by your articles. 2. Extend the reach of your work by introducing it to millions of readers monthly. 3. Build your writing portfolio and enhance your profile and reputation online. 4. Interact with an established network of professional editors and writers. You can apply here: Suite 101 Application

If you're interested in freelancing with web content writing, hopefully this list has given you a place to start. I'd love to know if it works out for you!

3 comments:

Phee Paradise said...

Linda,
I write for Demand Studios. It usually takes me 1 1/2 to 2 hours to write an article because of the research, so it doesn't pay really well. I'm wondering if a writer can write for both them and About.com since they are competitors. Also, the revenue share, so far, has been pennies. I ususally choose flat rate articles. But it is convenient because I can do as much or as little as I want.

Phee

quietspirit said...

Lynda:
The contests I have entered haven't done any critiquing of my story. I find out either onlin that my story did not do well.

I am presently editing one for submission to a magazine. I have gone through it twice and found more spots that need my attention the second time through.
This story has been critiqued by my local writing group and I still find things that need changed.

Susan said...

Thank you so much for the information on writing online. It's a new area for me, that's for sure. I'm so willing to learn and our suggestions are a good place to start! Thanks, Lynda. Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com