Monday, June 7, 2010

Writing is not for Wimps


As many of you know, I am scheduled to teach two workshops at the FaithWriters conference in August. As tempted as I am to make this post about my insane fear of public speaking, and how I'm completely baffled about what on earth possessed me to agree to teach in the first place, I will be a good girl and stay focused on the task at hand. Which is to describe one of the workshop's I'll be teaching and ask for your help.

No, not to take my place behind the podium, although if any of you feels led, I wouldn't argue...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Back to the purpose of this post.

The first class I'm teaching is called "Writing is Not For Wimps - Finding the Strength to Overcome the Obstacles in the Path of Your Passion."

OK, if you're a writer, you know it's true - writing is definitely not for wimps! But we all have an inner wimp that likes to emerge now and then. After all, there are plenty of opportunities for wimpiness along our writing road. The key is learning how to find the strength to face them so we can continue to only pursue our passion but also achieve our ultimate purpose. It's a nice thought, but maybe not so simple when it comes down to it.

So...here's where I need your help.

Please describe in detail what obstacles you've encountered in your writing journey. Maybe you've had to deal with harsh critiques, rejection, or non-supportive family members. Most importantly, I'd love to know what you did (or are you doing) to overcome them.

Also, if you have an encouraging phrase that you wouldn't mind sharing, let me know that, too. I hope to put together a nice list of quotes for writers to refer to when obstacles pop up along their path.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!

Oh - and if you have any tips on overcoming the fear of public speaking, I'd love to hear it. My wimpiness needs a good kick to the curb.

10 comments:

Jan Cline said...

I personally love public speaking, but I know that I have had to come to accept the truth that God has something to say through me. He has dropped things in my heart and yours that someone out there needs to hear. I want to be obedient to spread a message - no matter how small - to a world that is falling apart. If you look at all the examples in the Bible where He used the unworthy and unequipped, you will see that He gave them what they needed to do the job. The key is being willing - He gives the courage.
My biggest obsticle is myself. I overcome that by going back to the truth I have been told about my gifts. I find faithful friends who will speak over me positive and truthful words.
Let's say Im a recovering Wimp, but willing.

Karen Lange said...

The biggest obstacle I face is frustration with my productivity. I allow too many things to interrupt or deter me from writing. Since I work at home, it requires self- discipline and motivation. To remedy this, I try and stick to a schedule and have weekly writing goals. This has helped a lot. I am also learning to be more realistic in my goals and schedule. It's a work in progress:)

The Redhead Riter said...

It will be great for you! Just remember they all WANT to be there listening to you, so imagine that you are just with a bunch of friends. Nothing to be nervous about at all!

Sherry said...

My biggest obstacle at the moment is managing my time effectively. With so many balls in the air, I'm finding it difficult to juggle them, which ones to drop completely (God is helping me with this), and when to just stop and listen to His voice guiding me. Another problem I have is motivation. I can get the time I need, actually sitting down and doing it is another issue.
I face demons on a constant basis- discouargement, past failures, depression, unworthiness...what keeps me going is remembering that Satan is a liar, that I am called to do this job, and that just because I don't feel equipped or called does not mean that this is true. In the times when I feel utterly defeated I reach out to God and then friends. I have never failed to be amazed by the love and encouragement I find in both.

As for public speaking, try telling yourself that it's just a practice run. You are in front of family, they want to hear what you have to say, and it's just a practice. Here's my mantra when I start to get nervous..."It's just a practice, the worst is behind me, I am among family. Even if I mess up, they still love me and probably won't notice anyway. It's just a practice." Believe it or not, it works. By the way, I know you are going to be just fine. I will keep you in prayer, just for insurance.

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Thanks so much, Sherry, for sharing your own obstacles and for the prayers. :-)

Pam said...

I think my biggest obstacle has been physical weariness after a long day's work at my job. I just want to vege-out at night and hav difficulty even staying awake sometimes. And weekends require running around for other things like buying groceries etc., errands, laundry etc Not sure how to get past it except to push...
As far as public speaking goes, I hate it too. But an awesome verse that God has been putting on my heart for writing definitely applies to speaking -- Jeremiah 1:4. I would meditate on this verse, put it up on your mirror or wherever you will see it everyday and meditate on all it's wondrous truth -- God is anointing your lips with His Words. Do not say you are (too young, too scared, too old, too anything... :) Hope that helps! My mom always told me she was extremely shy growing up. I never knew her that way, except for public speaking. Then she began to teach at women's conferences like Aglow and suddenly all fear left and she loved it. I never could imagine that, but she said it was all God. So maybe you will find you love it too. :) In any case, God will anoint your lips as you declare His Word over you...

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Great word, Pam! Thank you!

Sara Kay said...

I am a never-been-married single. I work full time as a nurse, own a home which has a yard and a golden retriever. I dream of being a writer and am working toward that becoming a reality, but my time is limited. Between my job, my home, my yard, my church and my dog I just don't have much time or energy to write. Then there are times when I don't have the motivation to do the work of writing.

Because I am still so early in the process of becoming a writer, I also struggle with doubts about my writing as well.

I have two verses posted at my desk that have helped me. Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I am God." And Matthew 19:26, "With God all things are possible." When I spend enough time quiet before God I learn who He is and who He made me to be. When I remember that He makes things possible that seem impossible it is easier to keep plugging along to see a dream of being a writer come true.

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Thanks for your input, Sara. Wonderful verses to meditate on. Keep that dream alive!

Nishant said...

The key is being willing - He gives the courage.
Banner Advertising Network India