Monday, July 25, 2011

The Book Stops Here: Perfectly Invisible by Kristin Billerbeck

From the back cover:

Life after high school is so close . . . and yet so very far away.
It's Daisy Crispin's final semester of high school, and she plans to make it count. Her long-awaited freedom is mere months away, and her big plans for college loom in the future. Everything is under control.

Or is it?

Her boyfriend is treating her like she's invisible, and her best friend is making her sell bad costume jewelry in the school quad--and hanging out with her boyfriend. To top it off, Daisy's major humiliation of the year will be remembered in the yearbook for all eternity. It's enough to make her wonder if maybe being invisible isn't so bad after all.

Can Daisy get her life back on track? Or is she stuck in this town forever?

My review:

A year ago I posted my review of Perfectly Dateless. And if you read that review, you know how much I enjoyed it. So much so that I jumped at the chance to review Perfectly Invisible, Kristin Billerbeck's second installment of Daisy Crispin's story. I have to say after reading it, I'm on the fence. Not about whether I liked it, but about which book  I liked more. They were both so good!

Because I will be posting a complete review on www.faithfulreader.com next month, I won't go into great detail. I'll just say that if you are a Kristin Billerbeck fan like I am, and if you like reading teen fiction, you will love the character of Daisy Crispin. She's fresh and quirky with character flaws most of us can relate to. Reading Perfectly Invisible, I was taken back to my own high school years (pause to shudder). Granted, I didn't attend a snobby rich school, but snobby richer-than-me kids definitely played a part in my life's story. My parents didn't make me wear homemade clothes and have jobs that required them to dress up in duck costumes, but they humiliated me a time or twenty. I wasn't in love with an Argentine guy with olive skin and awesome dance moves who acted like he was more interested in my best friend than me, but my love life did contain plenty of drama. My best friend wasn't as outspokenly rude to me, but she did sometimes hurt my feelings.

My point is, even though I attended high school twenty-something years ago, I totally related to Daisy.

The writing was clever (brilliant in some spots) and made me laugh out loud. I don't know if there is another Daisy Crispin novel in the works now that Daisy has graduated from high school. But if so, I'll snatch up a copy as soon as it's available.

I'll be sure to post a link to the full review in August.

*Available July 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

**Thanks to Revell for providing me with a copy of this book to review. A positive review was not required and all thoughts are my own.**
___________________________________________________

Kristin Billerbeck is the author of more than 30 novels, including "What a Girl Wants" and the Ashley Stockingdale and Spa Girls Series. She is a fourth-generation Californian, who loves her state and the writing fodder it provides. Learn more at www.KristinBillerbeck.com

3 comments:

Connie Almony said...

Oh boy. I keep saying I'm gonna stop reading YA and read stuff that's for ... um ... those of us who are more seasoned. But I do love Kristin Billerbeck and this series now intrigues me. Thanks, Linda, for getting me "off track" (pun intended). I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Jessica R. Patch said...

I've never read Billerbeck, afraid to say. But I love YA and you got me with quirky, brilliant, lol! Thanks!

Dolly said...

I love your blog, keep reading and writing!! Godbless