Friday, January 6, 2012

By George, I think I've got it!


After posting a series of articles on time management on Examiner.com that includes tips and schedules from fellow Christian authors (there are some great ideas there!), I think I have come up with a general schedule that will work for me in the new year. Because I have an outside job that requires 2-3 days per week, and the days each week vary, I can't be super specific, but I can be consistent. So this is what I came up with. This schedule is flexible, as I will also have to fit in appointments, etc., but will serve as a general guideline for me.

TWO or THREE DAYS PER WEEK:
  • 6:30am - 4:00pm  Work my outside job
  • 4:00pm - 6:30pm  Answer emails, make dinner, clean up, family time
  • 6:30pm - 9:00pm  Marketing, emails, read for reviews
TWO or THREE DAYS PER WEEK
  • 6:00am - 11:00am   Work on my novel
  • 11:00am - 12:00pm  Lunch and read 
  • 12:00pm - 3:00pm   Marketing, freelancing - articles, book reviews, newsletters, critiquing
  • 3:00pm - 6:30pm    Family time, dinner, clean up
  • 6:30pm - 9:00pm    Marketing, emails, read for reviews
WEEKENDS
  • Prepare 3 weekly blog posts
  • Prepare all weekly Examiner articles (5-8)
  • Read books for reviews
  • Work on novel, as time allows

Novel Word Count  Schedule

In keeping with my spring deadline for Madily in Love (eek!), I have a word count goal of at least 700 words per day - or 4,900 words per week. I am participating in the ACFW Novel Tracker this month to keep me accountable. So far, I am just slightly behind my daily target (by 500 words). I hope to make that up this weekend.

It feels good to have some sort of schedule laid out. What about you? Do you have a specific schedule you've been following for a while or have you reworked your plan for 2012?

6 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

This looks like a GREAT schedule for you, Lynda! I do NOT have a specific schedule, though it probably wouldn't hurt if I did. NEED to get over to your examiner page and look those posts over!

Jessica R. Patch said...

Great schedule, Lynda! I need to use the noveltracking for edits. Keep me accountable!

Chris Jager - Baker Book House-fiction buyer said...

I am not writing a book, but because of a different type of writing job I need to be more organized. That actually looks like a great couple of suggestions.

BECKY said...

Hi Lynda! This looks like a great schedule. I don't have one that specific, but I do have daily goals for myself. Wishing the best in everything!

Dara said...

I have a hard time sticking to a specific schedule. Mine varies a bit, depending on what the baby wants to do. But mostly, I have a slight one. I try to do most of my chores when he naps and then write in the evenings. It doesn't always work out that way, but I try!

For writing, I'm trying for 1k per day. I'm doing something called the Winter Writing Festival, and you set a goal for yourself daily and then give yourself a point. There are giveaways and whatnot too as well as a chat room with other authors participating in writing sprints. I've found that helps me the most--writing with a bunch of other authors keeps me going! :)

Lynda Lee Schab said...

I remember those days, Dara. 1,000 words per day is huge! You're writing a lot more than I was when my kids were little. Good for you!

Wishing all of you guys a productive (and organized) year!