Friday, February 15, 2013

Blog Hop: The Next Best Thing



Over the past several weeks, many authors have been participating in a Blog Hop, titled The Next Big Thing. Basically, we answer 10 questions about our up-and-coming book. Mine happens to be book #3 in The Madi Series, which will actually be published as a 20,000-or-so-word novella, rather than a full length novel like the first two. Thanks for allowing me to share. And if you're looking for great reading material, be sure to check out the links at the bottom of this post for more authors participating on this blog hop. 


What is the working title of your book? SYLVIE AND GOLD

Where did the idea come from for the book?  The idea came while writing Madi’s story. I love the character of Sylvie (Madi’s best friend) and while I adore writing from Madi’s POV, I realized I’d love the chance to write from Sylvie’s perspective, too. And there is a specific storyline I knew I could pursue (set up in the first two books), so it was perfect. Although, I have to add that Sylvie and Gold will be a novella – not a full-length novel – to wrap up the series.

What genre does your book fall under?  My Madi Series is women’s fiction with elements of humor. It’s told in the first person and includes lots of sarcasm, fun, and real-life stuff women will relate to. Addiction to chocolate, for one. Although Sylvie is a health-nut in the first two books, even she finds herself battling the chocolate war in this book.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?  Oh, boy. I'm off to do some googling... OK, I'm back. That was fun! I've decided that Tina Fey could easily pull off the part of Madi. Patrick Dempsey as her husband, Rich. As for Sylvie, I'd cast Eva Longoria, and although not a comedy actor, I picture Zach looking a bit like Ian Somerhalder. As for the cantankerous role of Madi's mother, Maxine Sanders, I'd definitely say Doris Roberts would fit the bill.


Madi

Rich
Sylvie
Zach

Maxine Sanders

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?  Nobody ever told Sylvie Williams that pursuing her happily-ever-after would be this stressful.”

Well, that’s actually a tag-line, not a synopsis. I’ll go ahead and post the entire blurb:
A widow and single mother for eight years, Sylvie Williams has fallen in love and is getting married again—to Zach Sanders, her best friend’s brother. But planning her dream wedding has turning into a nightmare. Dealing with her son’s sexting issues, maintaining the peace with her meddling and feisty future mother-in-law, and planning her own mom’s sixtieth birthday party—a week before her own wedding—adds up to a little too much to handle. And if that’s not enough, Zach’s ex-wife has come back to town after a seven-year absence. The normally cool and collected Sylvie is stressed to the max. Will she completely lose her cool—or finally find the happily-ever-after she longs for?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? Like the first two novels in this series, Sylvie & Gold will be published by Oak Tara Publishing.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?  Still working on this one. It won’t take as long as my first two books, as the word-count will only be a fourth of what each of those were.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?  I’ve been compared to Kristin Billerbeck, Tamara Leigh, and Janet Evanovich. I’m honored to be compared to all three of these wonderfully talented authors!  

Me and my crazy friends!
Who or What inspired you to write this book?  My own life and the lives of my friends. Seriously. Laughing at myself is one of the best ways to pass the time, and I thank God for the friends He’s brought into my life who can do the same. Not to mention give me great fodder for my characters.  

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? My publisher has dubbed this series as “Delightful. Witty. Entertaining. Real. Poignant. Light-hearted Women’s Fiction at its best.” While I certainly hope my stories are delightful, witty, entertaining, and poignant, the word in that description which I feel is most fitting of this series is, “real.” Women can relate to Madi and Sylvie because they battle the same things we all do. No, not just chocolate, although that’s one of them! Madi and Sylvie have insecurities that affect their relationships – as we all do.

If there’s one thing I know is that we all have “stuff.” Maybe not exactly the same stuff as everyone else, but “stuff,” nonetheless. What I hope to convey is that God’s grace is enough to cover our insecurities, our faults, and weaknesses, even when we mess up and our lives feel insanely out-of-control.

Thanks for allowing me to share about my book. I encourage you to check out the following authors next week as they share information about their up-and-coming books:

JAN CLINE

DEBORAH HARPER


Check out these authors who have already participated in this blog hop to get some more great reading material! 

PAMELA S. MEYERS

MIRALEE FERRELL

KIMBERLY ROSE JOHNSON


Don't forget...This is the last day you can grab your FREE Kindle copy of Heart Bouquets! Click on the book cover to get it now!



1 comment:

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, Doris Roberts would be perfect to play maris mom! Fun post, Lynda!!