Monday, September 22, 2008

ACFW Genesis Contest WINNERS

So a few months ago, I found out I was a finalist in the ACFW Genesis contest (chick lit/mom lit/hen lit category). The first several pages of my work-in-progress, Mind Over Madi, made it through the first round of judging and would be sent off to two literary agents for final-round judging. That alone was exciting. To have my work not only put in front of but actually judged by two well-known and established agents, was beyond amazing.

Well, results were announced on Saturday at the annual ACFW conference, this year held in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend.

I know. Major bummer. :-(

Because I couldn't be there, I asked my friend and former critique partner, Jenness Walker, to call me with the results. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting her to. I knew things would be crazy at the conference and she wouldn't have a chance to call. At 10:30, I went to bed, planning on getting online early the next morning and find out who won.

Well, it turns out Jenness DID call - at 11:00 - while I was snoozing away. My husband told me she had called right before the winners were going to be announced.

Talk about a late-night banquet and forcing the finalists take an extra dose of patience! (Of course, Minneapolis might be an hour or two behind me. Not entirely sure.)

Well, when I got online the next morning, there was an email from Karen Ward, fellow ACFW'r and fellow FaithWriter, congratulating me on taking...are you ready?

SECOND PLACE!

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, it wasn't first. But I could not be more thrilled! Well, ok...maybe I would be a tiny bit more thrilled with first.

But I'll take it!

This is a huge honor for me! I want to thank the judges - all of the first round judges, whoever you are, and to Rachelle Gardner of Wordserve Literary Group and Ahna Eames of Eames Literary - who took the time out of their busy schedules to judge my entry.

Oh...any a GIGANTIC CONGRATULATIONS to JENNESS WALKER and DAN CASE - two of my former critique partners. And congrats to Erica Vetsch, who beat me out and took first place in the chick lit category (and 3rd in the Historical Romance)!

Here is the complete list of winners of the 2008 ACFW Genesis contest:

Chick lit, mom lit, lady lit Category:
1st: Erica Vetsch, Pam On Rye
2nd: Lynda Schab, Mind Over Madi
3rd: Tiffany Kinerson, Stand On My Own Two Hands

Contemporary Fiction Category:
1st: Dan Case, The Voice
2nd: Christina Berry, Undiscovered
3rd: Jim Rubart, Book of Days

Contemporary Romance Category:
1st: Annalisa Daughety, Love is a Battlefield
2nd: Kathleen Haynes, The Quarterback Club
3rd: Cara Slaughter, Joanna's Treasure

Historical Fiction category:
1st: Mona Hodgson, A Thimble's Worth
2nd: Rachel Moore, A Trail of Waves
3rd: Lori Benton, Trouble The Water

Historical Romance category:
1st: Patty Smith Hall, Flights of Freedom
2nd: Karen Witemeyer, Cloud by Day
3rd: Erica Vetsch, Marriage Masquerade

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category:
1st: Jane Thornton, Menace
2nd Donna Alice Patton, Wrestling Demons
3rd: Janice Olson, Don't Look Back

Romantic Suspense category:
1st: Jenness Walker, Deja Vu
2nd: Dani Pettrey, Quest
3rd (tie): Kelly Ann Riley, A Cowboy's Prayer
3rd (tie): Jane Thornton, Be Anxious

In the Science Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory category:
1st: Chawna Schroeder, Metamorphosis
2nd: Lynda K. Arndt, The Song of Blood and Stone
3rd: Valerie Comer, The Girl Who Cried Squid

Women's Fiction category:
1st: Heather Goodman, 50 Things To Do Before I Turn 30
2nd: Cynthia Ruchti, They Almost Always Come Home
3rd: Kristian Tolle, When Autumn Comes

Young Adult category:
1st: Carla Stewart, An Unexpected Journey
2nd: Stefanie Morris, The Dragon of Delarest
3rd: Kasey L. Heinly, Broken Glass

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS to ALL the winners!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Congratulations, Lynda! I'm so excited for you! Way to go! :)

Julie Arduini said...

I am so excited for you!!! And you know, I sense these things are like American Idol, that the industry is watching those who are runners up.

I think things are really going to heat up for you in 2009---that's my prayer for you.

COGRATS!

Terri Tiffany said...

I am so happy for you!!! Had to come over here to tell you personally! Now what does this mean? Do you get an agent and get this book published??

Joanne said...

Congrats! Found your blog thru Terri Tiffany's. You must be so happy with this honor. More good things to follow!