Friday, September 19, 2008

It's my Chocolate Party and I'll Cry if I want to...

I'm eating my chocolate.

Alone.

Sigh...

So I really, really, really wanted to attend the American Christian Fiction Writers conference this year. Which, I must mention, is happening right now, even as I type. My reason for wanting to go isn't limited to the fact that it's being held near the biggest mall in America and I could use a new handbag or two. I seriously would give my right shoulder to be in Minneapolis right now. And suffering from major tendonitis in my right shoulder has nothing to do with it.

If rubbing shoulders (my left one) with my favorite authors, attending great writing workshops, and the possibility of pitching to major publishing house editors isn't reason enough, I would have loved to finally meet face-to-face with those who have encouraged me, critiqued the yuckiness out of my manuscripts and inserted so many smileys and "loved this!" comments in the margins.

And then there's the famous chocolate party, hosted by Michelle Sutton...

Oh. One more reason I wish I was there: to attend the Awards Ceremony tomorrow night. Yes, my manuscript is in the running for an award in the Chick Lit category. I will honestly say that I totally don't expect to win. Which is why I wish I was there. If I thought, for one second that I AM going to win, I wouldn't want to go. The thought of having to make a speech - even a brief 30-second speech - is enough to send me rocking in the corner. And I'm thinking that branding myself as a corner-rocker wouldn't leave such a good impression on those editors and agents.

But I am so very honored to be nominated. And as cheesy and cliche' and totally fake as that sounds, it's the honest truth. The fact that my work is recognized at all, let alone in the prestigious Genesis contest, is truly humbling for me. And if I come in 5th place, I will be satisfied. Just not quite AS satisfied as if I come in, say... not last.

Anyway, I will be waiting for the news tomorrow night. I'm sure someone will post the results somewhere...Facebook, ShoutLife, in a personal email.... (hint).

God has blessed me in ways I never would have imagined even two years ago. Joining ACFW and meeting such beautiful people who happen to be fabulous writers, has been one of my biggest blessings. And, like I said, to be included in a list of ACFW finalists is beyond my wildest dreams.

So to all of my friends and all of those I desperately hope to meet in person one day, I hope you're having a marvelous time and making lots of new friends and getting lots of manuscript requests!

And, of course, I hope you're eating pounds of chocolate.

Maybe next year, I can join you so I won't have to eat by myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fun blog - I really like your writing! Plus I now know what ACFW stands for. I was wondering what that conference was about, but I write only non-fiction, so I guess that's probably why I haven't heard of it. (that and the fact that I'm just a beginning writer!)

Anonymous said...

Hope to meet you at the Denver ACFW conference next year. I didn't get to go this year either :)
Congrats on finaling!!!