Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Aches and Pains and Owies...Oh My!

So both my manuscript and I are undergoing the same thing at the moment. Something that hurts. Aches. Stretches. Throbs. Something that is painful. Tender. Distressing.

My manuscript and I are both going through the dreaded process of physical therapy. Me, on my shoulder. My manuscript...well...it's getting all-over therapy.

If there's one thing I'm learning as my shoulder gets twisted, moved, worked-on, manipulated, and exercised, it's that it's uncomfortable. And, as mentioned above, sometimes extremely painful. Especially immediately following my P.T. session. I may shed a few tears and ice my shoulder--or at least baby it. But I know that every ache and pain will be worth it in the end.

At least, that's what my physical therapist assures me.

My manuscript is going through physical therapy right now, too. Although, the novel itself can't feel the pain - as the author, I am the one who cringes every time a scene gets cut, characters are manipulated, and dialogue is twisted.

So not fair!

But, alas, I know it's necessary. And every tweak, edit, and major surgery will be worth it in the end.

At least, that's what I'm assuring myself.

A month from now, after both my manuscript and I say adios to physical therapy, the weak muscles and tendons will be stronger. Improved. Healthier.

Better.

While my shoulder physical therapy will hopefully lead to a pain-free lifestyle, I'm praying my manuscript's physical therapy leads to something almost as good...

Publication.

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Connie Arnold said...

Hoping your shoulder and manuscript will be restored to being better than ever!

Terri Tiffany said...

Keep at it! I know it will be worth it both places! I can't wait to hear that your book has been accepted somewhere!