Saturday, January 3, 2009

Lighting a Fire Under my Fanny with JanWriMo

If you're a writer, chances are you know all about NaNoWriMo. Short for National Novel Writing Month, this challenge to write 50,000 words during the month of November helps to jump-start those creative brain cells and results in getting a hefty chunk of your manuscript completed. There are several rules and regulations on how to meet and "win" the challenge, and while rules sometimes scare me off, that is not the reason I've never participated in NaNoWriMo. I have a much better reason.

The one-word reason I have never and probably never will participate?

NOVEMBER!

With the kids fall school stuff and the beginning of the holiday season, who has time to devote to 50,000 words? Well, besides the however-many-thousands of people who participate. But it sure aint me! I'm lucky to get my normal freelance stuff done, let alone FIFTY THOUSAND words in my novel. I simply would never want to commit to something so...unachievable.

BUT...here's the good news!

Someone over at ACFW came up with the brilliant idea of a JANWriMo. The holidays are over, nothing much is happening, the freezing temps outside make staying inside with an endless cup of coffee and a fired-up laptop even more appealing. Plus, it's the beginning of the year, when accomplishments and goals are at the forefront of our minds. When discipline and high hopes for the coming year are at their strongest.

So, alas, JanWriMo was born!

Notice, there is no "NO" in the word. There is no push to start from scratch and create a new novel. There is, however, encouragement to set a goal and meet it by the end of the month. Some writers have set a goal to finish a current WIP (work in progress). Some want to finish editing their completed manuscript. And some, like me, have set a word count goal.

MY PERSONAL GOAL:
I have a novel I started a while ago that I want to enter in the Genesis contest this year. At the end of December, I had written almost 7,000 words. My goal is to write 33,000 words in January to put it at 40,000 by the end of the month, which is about half done. So, broken down, 33,000 words equals about 1,100 words per day.


Totally doable!

It is now January 3 and I have written about 1,500 words. Not exactly on target, but I hope to catch up this weekend.

SO...

I'm inviting YOU to join in. It's not too late! Set a goal and go for it! Post your goal here and on your blog. I'd love to cheer you on! And if you're an ACFW member, visit the forums where there is a specific thread dedicated to JanWriMo.

Happy writing! And happy goal reaching!

3 comments:

Yvonne Blake said...

November is a VERY busy month! NaNo pushed me to write about 2/3 into my novel and I'm glad I did it. I'm in the middle of some other projects right now, but I just might join you next January.

Vonnie

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely taking part. I find it easier to write when there's a set goal and deadline as well as other writers participating. :)

Catrina Bradley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.