But others (the nightmarish ones), although a hoot, if I dwell on them too long, start stressing me out! Tripping over stuff, spilling coffee on your shirt right before an editor meeting, falling off benches, lost luggage, getting lost yourself, an editor's eyes glazing over during your pitch, yada yada. Just a confirmation that there are lots of things that could potentially go wrong.
I have decided that when things go wrong, not only is it a wonderful opportunity to laugh at ourselves (probably not so much at the time, but later), it could also be that God will teach us something in the process. No, I don't think God makes the bad stuff happen, but keeping us humble and dependant on Him is something He enjoys. And, hey. If He gets a few chuckles out of it, all the better! Hopefully when we take a step back from our humiliation and distress, we'll realize the world really didn't come to an end and have a laugh at our own expense, too.
But let's be real. As much as I want to say I'm totally calm about attending my very first ACFW conference, I can't lie. I'm nervous! So here's the deal. I'm going to post a list of things I'm nervous about and you guys can help me out by offering me a Bible verse about those things. I'd post the verses myself, but I have to leave in twenty minutes. Plus, I'd love to hear what verses you come up with.
I will then print the list to take with me to Denver.
Oh - If you don't have a verse, but want to offer an encouraging word on any of my fears, I'll take it.
So here is the list. And thanks in advance for your help. :-)
Things I'm nervous about:
- Traveling alone (I'm very sheltered. LoL)
- Getting lost
- Forgetting something I "needed"
- Meeting my favorite authors (will I be too star-struck to speak?)
- Constantly smiling and laughing while chatting with a group of people and realizing later that something black is stuck in my teeth.
- Spilling food or drink on myself
- Spilling food or drink on someone else
- Stumbling over my words at an editor or agent appointment
- Forgetting what my book is about.
- Calling someone by the wrong name
- Winning my category in the Genesis contest
- Placing last in the Genesis contest
- Altitude sickness (it is the mile high city, you know)
- No interest in my work
- Being too self-conscious and nervous to hear what the Holy Spirit is speaking to my heart.
So any words of encouragement or Bible verses that come to mind? I'd appreciate hearing them!Don't forget to leave a comment on my Monday and Wednesday post. You could WIN a copy of Deborah Vogts and Maureen Lang's latest novels! The winners will be announced next week.
Hope you all have a blessed weekend!