Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm a 2010 Genesis Finalist!

The results are in for the 2010 ACFW Genesis finalists!

I have been a finalist for the past two years. In 2008, I placed second in the chick lit category with Mind over Madi. This is the manuscript that my agent is currently subbing for me. Last year, I finaled in the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category. I didn't take first or second, but that's ok! Finaling allowed me to attend the ACFW conference, since my dad offered to pay my way if I ended up a finalist (thanks, Dad!).

This year, finalists were to be notified between May 1st and 15th. After admittedly obsessing about checking messages and keeping the phone close by, the call finally came! I was out getting a mammogram at the time (which is a whole other topic) and the sweet message from Virginia Smith was waiting for me when I got home. I am officially a finalist in the 2010 Genesis - again in the Mystery /Suspense category!

Yippee!!!

This year, I submitted three entries - one in the Mystery/Suspense category and two in Women's Fiction. At the risk of sounding ungrateful (which I am seriously NOT), I'll be honest and say I was really hoping to final with one of my WF entries, particularly the sequel to Mind over Madi, which would give me a slight advantage when pitching my series at the conference this year. In fact, I had set aside my finaling entry (the title of which I am not allowed to mention until final-round judges turn in their scores) to strictly focus on my other two. Ha! Another confirmation that life rarely goes according to plan.

Anyway, I now have some brainstorming to do and some major writing to do! And I can't wait to receive my scoresheets back on my other two entries to see what the judges had to say.

Below, are the names of all the finalists. CONGRATULATIONS! I am honored to be included once again on this list.

CONTEMPORARY FICTION:

(total entries: 47)

Cindy Hays

Lynnette P. Horner

Chris Kraft

Mark Lundgren

Christina S. Nelson


CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE:

(total entries: 63)

Jeannie Campbell

Sarah Forgrave

Janice LaQuiere

Rebecca Syme

Linda Yezak


HISTORICAL FICTION:

(total entries: 35)

Lori Benton

Brenda Jackson

Robert Kaku

Lisa Karon Richardson

Katie-Marie Stout


HISTORICAL ROMANCE:

(total entries: 65)

Susanne Dietze

Anne Greene

Pam Hillman

Lisa Karon Richardson

Ruth Trippy


MYSTERY/SUSPENSE/THRILLER:

(total entries: 45)

Rich Bullock

Barbara Early (double finalist with two entries)

Lynda Schab

Chawna Schroeder


ROMANTIC SUSPENSE (there was a two-way tie for the fifth finalist slot):

(total entries: 50)

Valerie Goree

Mindy Obenhaus

Leslie Pfeil

Dianna Shuford

Teri Dawn Smith

Terri Weldon


SPECULATIVE FICTION:

(total entries: 49)

Ben Erlichman

Suzanne Krein

Shelley Ledfors

Andra Marquardt

Holly Smit


WOMEN'S FICTION (there was a three-way tie for the fifth finalist slot):

(total entries: 76)

Lisa Buffaloe

Jennifer Fromke

Terri Haynes

Fay Lamb

Christina S. Nelson

Melissa Tagg

Michelle Ule


YOUNG ADULT:

(total entries: 56)

Angela Bell

Lin Harris

Kasey Heinly

LoraLee Kodzo

Stefanie Morris


NOTE: This year, the Genesis had a whopping 486 entries! That's a 7% increase from our numbers last year! WOW!

2 comments:

Pam said...

Congratulations, Lynda! I love how good news like that comes just at the right moment to counteract something as bleh as a mammogram! Sounds like you are really on the way to getting your work published!

LauraLee Shaw said...

That's awesome!!! Congratulations!