Monday, May 17, 2010

My Birthday is all about ME! Isn't it?



Lots of pampering and gifts
big hugs and warm wishes
no errands to run
no laundry or dishes.
I will rest from my work
and just take time to play,
everyone will agree with me
and do what I say.
After all, it's my birthday!
Today there's no "we."
Today the whole world
revolves around ME!

OK...snapping back to reality.

Seriously, to quote the opening line in Rick Warren's A Purpose Drive Life: "It's not about you." I'm thinking this probably means even on my birthday.

Bummer.

As much as I'd LOVE it to be all about me, and to a certain extent it is, there are still lunches to be prepare, laundry to be done, kids to cart all over creation, money to be made. Yes, I will take a little time for fun today (seeing a movie with my friend, Cari), but for the most part, it's just another day.

The devil is pretty sneaky. He knows one of my weaknesses is selfishness. And while it's certainly acceptable to celebrate the day we were born, God has been particularly dealing with me about looking outside of myself. And today, especially, instead of focusing on how special I am, I reflect on the fact that God is not only my Creator, but HE is to be credited for my birthday. It really isn't all about me. It's all about Him.

So, today I praise God for what He's done in me and through me. And I thank Him for blessing me with another year!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have laundry to do...

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, sweet friend. I am praying GOD will bless your day and refresh your spirit as you go about all the tasks that must be attended to. May you look at them with fresh eyes and see the beauty beneath the task.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Susan said...

Happy birthday to Lynda, Happy birthday to Lynda, Happy birthday, dear Lynda, Happy Birthday to YOU!

Hope your day goes well, that your new year of life is awesome, and that you do something special for you, after you finish the laundry! Sincerely, Susan

Lynda Lee Schab said...

Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the wishes!

Karen Lange said...

Happy Birthday. You are special, but we'll make sure that you don't get the big head:) Doesn't laundry keep you humble, anyway? Hope you had a good day.
Blessings and bday hugs,
Karen

Coleene VanTilburg said...

Happy belated (a few days) birthday and God's timing...for all your writing...will be perfect.