Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Book Stops Here: Review of God Loves Single Moms

I'm not a single mother. But I was raised by one. Back then (yes, SO many years ago...) I was one of only a handful of kids in my school who had divorced parents. Now sadly, as we all know, divorce is common. In fact, if you don't personally know someone who has gone through or is going through a divorce, you probably live on a deserted island.

Something else that's more common now than thirty years ago is the number of resources available to single parents, including books like the one to the left. When I received the email informing me of the opportunity to review this book, I responded immediately. Personally knowing several single moms, I knew there was someone I could pass the book along to when I finished. And when I started reading, God placed a specific someone on my heart. I pray she is blessed by it.

So the title says it all, doesn't it? No matter what we've been through or where we are in our earthly journey, God loves us. And I could be wrong, but I believe God has a special  place in his heart for single moms. Whether divorce is necessary or by choice, God's mercy - and His grace - is available to all who ask for it.

This book is one I'm sure my own mom wishes was published when she was a struggling single mom. The subtitle reads: Practical Help for Finding Confidence, Strength, and Hope. I don't know a single mother out there who can't use a little help in those departments.

The author, Teresa Whitehurst, is divorced so she has plenty of experience to draw from for the advice and encouragement she offers in this book. It starts out with an extensive quiz to give you a wide-eyed view of your life and your child's life. The quiz helps put things into perspective a bit and determine just how well things are going for you. Because, as Whitehurst says, many mothers (like her) mistake self-sufficiency for true strength. And only God can provide you with the strength you need.

This book covers:
  • Self Care
  • Getting the Support You Need
  • Getting Organized
  • Your Money, Your Job, and Your Dream
  • Restoring Your Faith and Confidence
  • Taking Care of Your Child
  • Your Child's Behavior
  • Your Child's Father
  • When You're Tired and Tempted
Besides additional tips and suggestions sprinkled throughout the book, there are sidebar boxes offering  "The Bright Side of Single Mothering" such as: If tension existed between your child's father and your own extended family, you can often reverse this. His absence at gatherings will reduce conflict so that those important relationships can be easier or renewed. (Holidays can be a lot nicer too!)

This book is not for divorcee's alone. If you're a mother who is divorced, widowed or never-been married, you'll take something away from this book. It may not be able to miraculously take away the challenges, struggles, and fatigue you face, but it provides some excellent support and encouragement along the way. Whitehurst's hope is that while you may get weary, you need never feel alone.

This copy is spoken for, but I encourage you to pick up your own copy - for yourself or to pass along to a single mom you know - at your *local bookstore or through Amazon.com.


* “Available November 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”


Thanks to Revell for providing me with a copy of this book to review. A positive review was not required and all thoughts are my own.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Lynda, your review is timely for me, too. I have recently met a single mom who is struggling with her current circumstances. Not only can I provide her with good advice but it will give me an opportunity to express Christ's love. Blessings to you.