Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer R & R? Yeah, right.

So summer vacation has officially begun and I couldn't be more thrilled. After 9 months of school, a break in the routine is always welcome. Not that my life slows down in the summer. Au Contraire! One word to describe my summer: BUSY. Gone are the lazy days of summer I knew as a child. And it seems like the older my kids get, the busier things are.

This summer, my 16-year-old son is looking for a job and will be taking his final driver's road test. Oy... He also starts USTA this week (tennis) and then his school tennis season begins in a few weeks. My 13-year-old daughter's calendar is already jam-packed with parties and things to do, plus she will be starting up volleyball in a few weeks to prepare her for team tryouts that take place the first week of school.

In addition to my kids' activities, I will be teaching two workshops at the FaithWriters conference in August (I still need help with this. Please visit this post to leave your input). We also hope to schedule a couple of overnight getaways with the kids, as it's so important to spend quality time and leave behind a summer of cherished memories with the family.

BUT...despite my increasingly full calendar, writing is definitely on my agenda this summer. With the ACFW conference only three months away, my goal is to finish my mystery so I can pitch it to a couple of editors. But I have a long way to go in such a short amount of time. 40,000 words long.

Reading is also something I hope to really catch up on this summer. The weather people are predicting a sunny and very hot summer and I intend to take every possible advantage of my mom's pool. And of course, being at the pool without a book is unacceptable. Some books on my summer reading list are:

*The Homecoming by Dan Walsh (reading this one right now. Stay tuned for a review at the end of the month)

*Walking on Broken Glass
by Christa Allan (been dying to read this one!)

*A Summer Secret by Kathleen Fuller (a YA I received for review)

*Perfectly Dateless by Kristin Billerbeck (Another review book I can't wait to read)

*Truffles by the Sea by Julie Carobini (loved Chocolate Beach and it's about time I read this follow-up)

*Rematch and MatchPoint by Erynn Mangum (loved Miss Match and am looking forward to the last two books in the series to provide some light summer reading)

*Gun Lake by Travis Thrasher (for my suspense fix)

Who knows if I'll get through them all - or if another book will come along in the meantime to take the place of one of those listed. But I'm truly going to try!

What about you? What are you reading and writing this summer?

6 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

What a great idea for a blog post! I think I'll do something similar. Those books sound good for sure. Guess you'll just have to check my blog in the next few days for the answer to your question :)

Terri Tiffany said...

I know you will be awesome teaching at FW!
I plan to take a course in July on self-editing and then to revise and lengthen a romance during the summer to have it ready to query by Sept. we'll see:)

Karen Lange said...

Just finished She Walks in Beauty, and working on A Distant Melody. My TBR pile is quite high, but I'm looking forward to attacking it. :)
Blessings,
Karen

Nikki (Sarah) said...

I'm writing a YA novel and started a writer's group which I'm really excited about. My book that I published Dec. 09 was shortlisted so will be doing some promotion.

Have a great summer. And I know what you mean about your son...driving. My 14 yr. old keeps telling me it's only 2 more years for her to drive. oy is right

LauraLee Shaw said...

I can soooooooooooooo relate! So relate! With a 15 yo, 12 yo & 10yo, I know my busy season is just starting, but could it possibly get any busier?

Hope your talks go well at FW. I know you will do great!

Nishant said...

Those books sound good for sure.
Banner Advertising Network India